Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Designing my Life

I have my work station set up in front of the wood stove in the living room. A stack of papers next to the couch, Bill Mollison's Permaculture Designer's Manual underneath this morning's coffee mug, a nest-like blanket wrapped around my legs. I've been peering into my laptop for days, as if it holds the magic answers to my life. What will I do? Who will I become? I've been writing my action learning plan for my first year at Gaia. How freaking cool... I get to design my own curriculum, based on my needs and passions. As someone who always has a multitude of projects emerging, it's not difficult to come up with some good ideas, the hard part is narrowing down what exactly I'm going to do and how. Spelling out who, what, where, when, why , and how makes my path a lot more clear to me. So few people ever take the time our to design their lives. To actually think where they are going and map out how to get there. I highly recommend this process to everyone. It takes some time, but in the end it saves a lot of driving around in circles.

In my own plan I listed my goals, skills I want, people who can help me, and projects that help me develop the skills and achieve the goals. I identified next steps in each project and areas of learning that I would focus on and write papers about through the year. Then I analyzed my plan for strengths and weaknesses and decided how I would evaluate my progress. My plan is six pages long so I won't include it here, but if anyone is interested in reading it, please e-mail me. Otherwise, stay tuned to see the learning plan in action!

*******If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.******Henry David Thoreau

No comments: