Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Marriage


Ok, ok, so I kind of skipped over a very important event in my life that happened almost two months ago: I got married to the love of my life, Matt.  

The wedding was more beautiful than I ever could have imagined.  We were married on the beach by our good friends, Margi and Scott, with our parents standing in support behind us.  The sun was beaming down on us as a black rain cloud threatened, making the backdrop of the tall mountains across the fjord even more dramatic.  Our friends KB and Emily sang the song "All You Need is Love" by the Beatles.  Matt's mother read a poem.  Matt and I exchanged vows and rings and a kiss.  The rain blessed our marriage as we ate elk kabobs under the tent.  The amazing food was generously prepared by our friend Sarah entirely from scratch.  We cut the cake, lemon-raspberry, with real frosting, and had a champagne toast, and then the band played.  We danced, sang, played games, laughed, and hugged, surrounded by all the people most important to us in life.  All the stress and work of putting together this event was gone, we were married and we were happy.

I can't tell you exactly how it is different, but I love being married.  It is somehow comforting to know that we will be together no matter what.  Other people now know the strength of our commitment to each other as well.  Every time I look at my ring, I think about the symbolism of the circle, and I know that Matt and I are in for an amazing ride.  

No comments: